Thursday, June 4, 2009

My resume (5 continues)

Most of my days were spent cleaning up after the guests and serving meals. See the world thru a porthole; not exactly the glamorous lifestyle you were imagining. One day, on our trip back up to Maine, the cook got off the boat and never came back. So, here we are off the coast of Maine and the owner says "can you make clam chowder?" I said, "of course". Then he said there would be twenty people for lunch tomorrow and if the chowder was any good I was the new cook. You have to realize that all my worldly possessions were in one little suitcase. Other than clothes it contained my Fannie Farmer cookbook. What was I thinking? My experience was cooking for two and quite probably not well. Lunch for 20? And so it was that Fannie and I made clam chowder and thus began my new career as a cook.
The owner was pretty set in his ways as far as food went. No matter what was served for lunch, there had to be a platter of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. Cocktail hour at 5:00. Dinner was very basic meat and potatoes and vegetables. Lamb chops were one of his favorites. He liked them rare, which I had never heard of, and it didn't matter what the guest's preference might be because everyone got rare lamb chops.
One of the places he had for the boat was a slip on Australian Docks in Palm Beach. He had a home in Palm Beach also. Every day he was in Palm Beach his table was set for him for lunch at the Bath and Tennis Club. I don't know that he ever ate there while I was cooking for him.
I had carte blanche as far as providing food. When we were in Palm Beach, I would call and everything would be delivered. When we were in Maine I actually shopped at a grocery but never paid for anything as they would send a bill. And then there was the lobster fisherman who would drop off a mesh bag from his boat to the bow of our boat and I would wake up in the morning and find live lobsters on the deck. How many ways can you cook lobster? Fannie and I were in lobster heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment