Monday, October 5, 2009

My resume 9

Little did I know what I was getting myself in for when I accepted the job at Penney's. In those days, to be in the management training program, it didn't matter what your experience was. You started out as a sales associate and had to complete a 90 day evaluation of your selling skills and ability to complete relevant tasks. Then you were promoted to the trainee program. During this time you had to work at each different job, whether it be catalog, credit, stockroom, sales audit,etc. You had to learn each one and master it and then go on to the next. You had to know that each one was important and the success of each one depended on the other. There were no prima donna's, you either made it or you were out. We were supposed to work 40 hours a week, period. We had paper time sheets posted on the wall that you had to sign in and out on. Needless to say there were some strong words when the auditors showed up and wanted to know how we could have been so punctual, in and out, day in and day out. Someone else had to answer that question.
I survived the trainee program and was promoted. That was the beginning of what was to be a total of almost 30 years with the company. I'm getting a little ahead of myself though, since after 5 years we decided to relocate to Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment