Monday, October 5, 2009

My resume 8

From a life at sea, I became employed at Seven Seas. It was a gift shop with things from all over the world. Many of these things had been purchased by the owners as they travelled. I really looked forward to the arrival of new merchandise as it was always unusual. Setting the displays and decorating the front window was my forte. We also imprinted Christmas cards and did napkins and matchbooks for parties and weddings. The manager came from one of their stores in Ohio. She had worked for them for a long time and it turned out she was pregnant and not married. They sent her down to Florida to protect her so that it would not be common knowledge that had happened. Hard to believe when in this day and age being pregnant does not preclude that there should be a husband. I used to sew a lot of my clothes and so I had made maternity dresses for her. We became very good friends and to this day still exchange Christmas cards every year. She decided to go home before the baby came and recommended that I take over as manager, which I did. Around this time, I remarried.
The Mall had a management meeting every month and all the store managers, big and small, would attend. Always one to make my opinion heard, I was elected president of the Mall Merchant's Association. This was no small feat as ours was a very small store. Not only had I beat out all the major department store managers, but I was the first woman ever to be elected. We were a very strong and vocal group and tried to always do things in the best interests of everyone. We got into a row with Mall management in regard to trash collection. We were all very satisfied with our service provider and we were being told that we had to change to a different company. One day I was asked to lunch by the owner of our service. I thought it was a bit unusual but agreed. He asked me to go along with the change. It seems his trucks and other equipment had been vandalized to send a message. He said he didn't want me to get hurt and I just needed to convince everyone to go along with the change. So, there I was again. Who controls waste management? Me versus the Mafia. No contest.
Regardless of that episode, I was re-elected president. At some point, the manager of Penney's asked me to come to work for them. They wanted to promote women into management positions since it was a strictly male environment and they wanted to change that. So I packed up my gavel, a gift from the Association, and moved on down the Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment